Monday, August 8, 2011

Day 39 - Some kind of normalcy

Today my mom's cousins from Colorado were visiting (they're visiting family on the east coast), and for the first time I felt capable of getting a little dressed up. Which is to say that I pulled on some Wellesley sweats, a shirt my mom and I got at Kmart, and my scarf from Rome. It was definitely putting the scarf on that did it for me - I haven't worn a scarf since Wellesley, I think, and it had become so much the norm for me. I clipped back my (clean) hair, and headed out to socialize. I still got tired out pretty easily (standing still is irritating to my legs if I do it for too long!), but it was an interesting experience hanging out with people who didn't know that I'd been injured - having something other than my recovery be the center of the conversation was a very welcome change. It's so easy to get myopic when you're living with a long-term thing, and since I have to be so careful with the treatment of my new skin and my one small still open wound (which requires a dressing change every day) blah blah blah, I'd almost forgotten there were other things going on.

In this same vein:  I talked with my advisor at Penn State the other day, and I'm going to be doing some research while I'm home! I'm also going to be taking a class online (differential equations... anyone know a good online place to take it?), and (I hope) doing some volunteering in the burn unit at Bridgeport. It's nice to feel capable of doing something other than focusing on myself!

1 comment:

  1. That must have been a pretty bizarre experience! Wouldn't it be funny if they read this blog post though? I'm glad you are doing well!!

    ReplyDelete